CDL-A Truck Driver
Truck Drivers are valued crew members who work on a variety of different jobsites. This is a full time position M-F with lots of overtime. Truck drivers make short trips multiple times a day, often less than 20 miles one-way. Truck drivers haul bulk materials such as dirt or stone, and also haul heavy equipment such as bulldozers or excavators. Truck Drivers can work on various jobsites ranging from small projects, to large developments, sometimes working on different jobsites every day. Between loads, truck drivers work alongside the jobsite crews performing work as directed by the site foreman. Alpers Excavating is seeking individuals who enjoy working outdoors and are physically able to operate large commercial vehicles and perform manual labor. Wages are hourly and are based on previous experience.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- -Arrive to work on-time and wearing appropriate clothing to spend much of the day outdoors. Company T-shirts and sweatshirts are provided!
- -Perform and document pre-trip inspections on the truck and trailer per DOT regulations.
- -Safely load and unload heavy equipment and bulk materials from the truck and trailer.
- -Operate different truck and trailer configurations, such as straight trucks, tag trailers, 5th-wheel dump trailers, double trailers, & low-boys.
- -Plan efficient and safe routes to and from jobsites.
- -Safely operate large vehicles on public roadways.
- -Assist jobsite crews in-between loads. Not all of your time in this position will be devoted to truck driving!
- -Adhere to safe working practices such as wearing PPE, being observant, helping others, and following instructions.
Requirements and Qualifications
- -Valid class A CDL and DOT medical card. X/N/T endorsements are preferred, but not required!
- -Ability to document pre-trip inspections on paper log books.
- -Ability to recognize unsafe conditions and communicate defects, dangerous situations or incidents to supervisors.
- -Ability to think fast and react to new situations that develop during the job.
- -Ability to follow all safety rules, including but not limited to OSHA and MiOSHA construction regulations.
- -Ability to accurately and honestly fill out a paper worksheet at the end of each day describing the work you performed during the day, and document the loads you’ve hauled that day. No electronic logs.
- -Ability to pass random drug tests.
Typical Tasks Performed by Truck Drivers
- -Loading and unloading bulk materials such as dirt and stone.
- -Loading, unloading and securing heavy equipment to trailer decks with chains and binders.
- -Navigating the truck and trailer through tight spots with a focus on safety.
- -Backing a truck and trailer down narrow roads sometimes without the help of a spotter.
- -Operating a wheel loader to load bulk materials into the truck.
- -Perform manual labor alongside jobsite crews in-between loads.
- -Perform basic maintenance on your truck, including but not limited to, filling tires, changing lights, powerwashing, adjusting brakes, lubricating joints.
Why work at Alpers?
Alpers Excavating is a family owned business that began over 50 years ago in Traverse City. Alpers treats employees with respect and offers competitive wages and benefits. Employees maintain a friendly atmosphere and work in teams to finish projects. We take great pride in our high quality of work to maintain a high regard of customer satisfaction. On-the-job training is provided for all tasks you’re unfamiliar with!
If you have any questions about this position, please call our office at (231) 943-4710.
You are welcome to stop by during business hours M-F to apply in person, or apply online by clicking below.
Alpers Excavating is an Equal Opportunity Employer